Let’s Get This Adventure Started!

“A year? What will you do?” People asked so many logical questions when hearing about my leave of absence. And – I’ve had limited answers for the “where are you going” and “what are you going to do” small talk. For the last three years, it was hard to even dream about specific destinations while working, working, and working to save the funds to make it happen, so I decided to choose a starting point and let the rest of the journey unfold. Booking a ticket to the Canary Islands served as a gateway to flexibility for further travel in either Africa or the Middle East. From this restful spot, it’s easy to get anywhere.

Plus, it sounds so exotic, right?

But, here I am. It’s my seventeenth day in Tenerife, and it is the first one where I am starting to feel like I have a bit of life in me – and am not just forcing myself to be out and about. My sleep has been more on than off – and I’ve been okay with spending lots of time in my tiny hotel room – just reading and watching some Netflix. My hair’s been kind of greasy – and my pajamas have been my best friend. I’ve worn my black $10 Walmart dress for just about every single trek outside of my room without a desire to plan for more. I have been relatively invisible here. Most people would say that I probably could have done these exact same things at home…which is true.

In reality, after years of running and a summer of decadence and fun, my time in Tenerife was purposefully filled with a mental and physical detox. I felt tired and unsettled with my physical fitness and self care. Knowing that it would be hard to connect with others in this state, there seemed to be value in taking time to recharge the strained pieces of my heart and mind. Usually, a calendar and daily flow of life dictate my actions. Instead, I created a daily plan that included drinking more water, working out, and eating in ways that prepare me for a rigorous year in unfamiliar places.

So, today, my hair is clean. I am dressed in something different. I am feeling ready for what comes next. In eight days, I will leave for Ghana after enjoying a short visit in Tenerife with my aunt, Bones.

The unknown excites me and there is a lot of that to come. Glad to have my partners at home to share the journey on my blog. Thanks for joining the fun! While I still don’t have answers to the questions, I am one step closer to finding the answers on this journey.

About bartoszblog

Working as a teacher has taught me about life. Working at the front desk of a hotel taught me a lot about people.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Let’s Get This Adventure Started!

1. Laura says:

You are so cool! You have always been such and interesting and inspiring person. Keep it up! My niece has two very special friends in Ghana. If you’d like me to connect you please let me know. I can do it on FB. one runs an Irfan age and one is a professor. Safe and excing travels!

2. Robert says:

Enjoyed reading this blog. I’m happy that you’ve felt well enough to get your new journey underway. Enjoy safe travels, and have the most wonderful adventure of your life. ~Love you cuz.

• bartoszblog says:

I hope it’s a good one! I like the way social media gives you a change to connect with people and make new connections along the way! Back at you with the love! xo

3. 1jazzguy says:

Enjoyed reading your blog today, Nancy. I’m happy you’re feeling well enough to go out again. Have a safe and wonderful journey in this coming year. Love ya cuz. 🌈

• bartoszblog says:

Ah – thanks! Life is feeling good! I am ready for Ghana. Making some connections with HFTD.org and finding ways to connect with others to learn about mental health outreach and support around the world. Glad to have you along!

4. Malinda Chrisman says:

Nancy, I’m so glad you are rested and ready to hit the adventure trail!! I envy your time in “The islands.” A good friend just returned from Ghana in May. The photographs she posted were absolutely gorgeous! She was in Accra which I believe is the capital city. The waterfalls, the lush green hills, trees filled with bountiful fruit, the market place, she enjoyed it all! She stayed at a beautiful hotel at Labadi Beach which was gorgeous and also visited with some local families. They were very kind and generous people to her. The picture she painted was so lovely. I’m sure you will love it too.

• bartoszblog says:

That sounds so lovely! I can’t wait to arrive. I will be in Accra for at least the first seven days of my time in Ghana. Your note made me even more ready to get moving!

5. Cat thielberg says:

Glad to hear that you feeling refreshed and more recharged! Even more glad to hear that you’re showered and out of that $10 dress! 😹😹😹 Safe travels, my treasured friend! (Give my love to Bones! 😘)

6. Bridget says:

Nancy, enjoy your journey. I was so happy to read that you just took time to do nothing!

7. Sandy Liston says:

So excited to receive notice of the start of your new adventures. Looking forward to each new chapter . Safe travels!!

8. Kathy Hague Lubeck says:

Always a joy to read about your adventures, Love and prayers for safe travels!

9. Mary Ann Komarnicki says:

I am traveling with you as your safety spirit! Love and miss you!